Fun, Amazing, Etc.

This is the official blog of indie author / adventure writer Andy R. Bunch, author of the fantasy book, "Suffering Rancor." As always, I'll post funny or amazing things I find in my travels or from poking around online. This is a great place to kick back and relax a bit. You may note that I’m not too clean or too dirty. For more information on my book, go to http://andyrbunch.weebly.com/. Here are links to first two books http://goo.gl/iHP1i and http://goo.gl/kK13W

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Irony

This is as good a time as any to announce a new campaign I'm starting. One technique for drawing attention to your work, is to start a campaign to promote something fun and silly that people can easily get behind. By promoting that "cause" people get to know you without having your "real" work shoved in their face. It's a great way to build a fan base that's larger than the genre you already have a book to sell to. So...(drum roll please)...My first non-writing campaign will be to redefine the word Irony. Most non-English-major types aren't aware that the dictionary definition of Irony is "the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning." If that sounds oddly familiar, it's because its the same definition as sarcasm. Most people use Irony to mean a situation which makes a recent statement seem false. Or something along those lines. Yes I do find it ironic that the definition of irony is wrong, and yes, it's annoying when I get corrected by someone who insists that it a coincidence. I don't think everyone in America is wrong. I think the dictionary is wrong and I want to change it. This question will take me deep into the etymology of those words and likely make me pariah to grammar Nazis everywhere but I am unafraid. I shall champion this cause and the world will one day know that the English language was made for man, not man for the English language. This will also be a great test project for the new skills in marketing I'm hoping to pick up. Look for a website about Irony later this summer. In the mean time, I'll try to plan the campaign here so you can learn alongside me. Together we can redefine irony and restore order to the universe. A. Bunch https://www.facebook.com/TaleScribe

No comments: